The National Institute of Research - Development for Machines and Installations Designed to Agriculture and Food Industry - INMA Bucharest has the oldest and the most prestigious researching activity in the domain of agricultural machinery and mechanization technologies in Romania
· In 1927 it was set up the first “Research Centre for Agricultural Machines” within “The Agronomical Research Institute of Romania—ICAR” (setting up low published in Official Year BooK, No. 97/05.05.1927).
· In 1930 it was set up “The Station for Testing Agricultural Tools and Machines” by transforming “The Research Centre for Agricultural Machines” within ICAR - which has settled the scientific bases regarding the methodologies and experimental technique in the field (Decision No. 2000/1930 of ICAR Manager “Gh. Ionescu Sisesti).
· In 1952 it was set up “The Research Institute for Agriculture Mechanization and Electrification - ICMA Băneasa by transforming The Station for Testing Agricultural Tools and Machines.
· In 1960 it was set up “The Enterprise for Design and Production of Prototypes for Agricultural Machines, Implements and Installations - INMA Otopeni.
· In 1979 it was set up “The Institute of Scientific Research and Technological Engineering for Agricultural Machines and Implements - ICSITMUA - under the subordination of The Ministry of Machine Building Industry (MICM) by unifying ICMA under the subordination of the Ministry of Agriculture and Food with ICPMA under the subordination of MICM.
· In 1996 it was set up The National Institute of Research and Development for Machines and Installations Designed for Agriculture and Food Industry - INMA Bucharest complying with the Government Decision (HG) no. 1308 / 25.11.1996 by re-organizing ICSITMUA, HG 1308 / 1996, under the coordination of the Education and Research Ministry; HG 823/2004.
· In 2008 INMA has been accredited for performing research-development activities financed by public funds, according to HG 551/2007, ANCS Decision No. 9634/2008.